About the hotel
Originally built to satisfy the whims of a wealthy Italian duchess, this hotel combines past traditions with a cosmopolitan and contemporary sense of luxury. The majestic 50-acre oasis sits where the Yucatán jungle dissolves into the pristine sands of Xpu-ha, one of the only remaining undeveloped shores of the Mayan Riviera. The main house still remains the hotel's centerpiece, in the heart and soul of this tropical sanctuary, around which footpaths lead to only 29 suites and villas where top echelon hospitality awaits. Days flow into one another whilst spending time unwinding along the beach or by the pool. Snorkelling adventures are interspersed with lying in a hammock or sipping margaritas in the bar. Seamless service, miles of lush tropical beach, a pampering spa with aromatic herbal body wraps and fresh seafood all roll into one.
- 50-acre estate originally built as the private home of an Italian duchess
- Ancient herbalist practices available in the spa
- Seamless service on Xpu-Ha offering genuine privacy
At a glance
Every private terrace and sitting area of each suite at Hotel Esencia is built into the contours of the room offering a peaceful view on the garden canopy or an impressive panorama of the Caribbean.
- Fine european linens
- Walk-in wardrobes
- Large screen high definition televisions
- DVD player, movie library and on-demand
- iPod and sound systems
- Nespresso machine
- Free minibar
- Safety deposit box
- Maid service twice daily
The main house’s Ocean Suite offers stately seclusion only steps from the hotel’s beating heart. A large private terrace surveys the pools and Xpu-ha cove, while an airy living room, spacious bathroom, and all of Hotel Esencia’s signature amenities come together as a proper home away from home.
Garden Suites are quiet, cooling sanctuaries that encircle the estate’s tropical gardens. Available with one king or two queen beds, and a private terrace with seating area.
Garden Suite with Plunge Pool
A terrace plunge pool, rain-like shower room, and walk-in closet distinguish every Garden Suite with Plunge Pool as uniquely equipped for calm and restoration. Some suites include additional features such as a bathtub or solarium.
The two Master Suites of the main house each offer panoramic views of the grounds and the Caribbean. With a king bed, master bathroom, and grand terraces, these are the architectural diamonds of Hotel Esencia, steeped in history and world-class luxury.
Hidden in the garden foliage, the two-bedroom, two storey Pool Villas offer unparalleled serenity and privacy. Rather than beach bungalows these are well-appointed residences unto themselves, with multiple terraces, a media room, and a courtyard furnished with hammocks, entertaining furniture, and full-size swimming pool.
Meals are simple yet sophisticated, drawing as much from Mexico’s eclectic range of regional cuisines as from the well-loved comforts of Mediterranean cooking. What is not taken from Hotel Esencia’s own garden is sourced locally from farmers and artisans in Quintana Roo, or further afield from the places in Mexico known for exemplary delicacies—moles from Oaxaca, fruits from Yucatán, and wines from Baja.
Situated between the pools and the beach, The Pool Restaurant is a picturesque spot to start one’s day. With an emphasis on seasonal ingredients and apt updates to coastal staples from Latin America and around the world, the menu is an ode to the south.
- Open: 07:00 - 16:00
- Dinner: 19:00 - 23:00
Located in the heart of the palm garden, The Garden Restaurant offers a refined take on Mexican cuisine from the Yucatán and beyond. While the décor and service might remind guests of an old world resort, the creative menus offer fresh approaches to tradition.
- Saturdays: 19:00 - 23:00
Located in the beachside palapa, the Juice Bar serves fresh cold-pressed juices during the morning hours. Select from an original menu or create your own with an assortment of daily fresh fruits, vegetables and super-foods.
- Open: 07:00 - 13:00
Nearby Restaurants and Bars
- Romeo: streetside trattoria off-the-beaten path in Playa del Carmen
- Almirante Pech: seafood restaurant ideally situateed for a night of clubbing
- Canibal Royal Beach Club: DJs on the beach, comfort food in Playa del Carmen
- Hartwood: a praised Williamsburg canteen in the Mayan jungle
- Casa Banana: Argentinian steak house in Tulum's jungle, offering great cokctails and atmosphere
- La Santanera: different levels of VIP lounge terraces and dance floor in Playa del Carmen
- Gitano: inventive cocktails and live music on the jungle side of Tulum's main street
- Cacao: roof top bar offering incomparable views
- Organic spa
- Private beach
- Heated pools
- 2 restaurants
- Beach bar
- Cold-press juice bar
- Complimentary afternoon tea
- Morning pastries and fruits
- Complimentary beach bags
- Hotel safe deposit boxes
- Free 40MB wireless internet
- 24-hour concierge
- Maid service twice daily
- Express dry cleaning and laundry service
- Chauffeur-driven cars
- Secretarial and translation services
- Multilingual staff
- Catering for all occasions
- Packing and unpacking services
- Private trainers and massage therapists
- Babysitting services
Stay entertained with a range of leisure activities all yours for the taking, including:
- Snorkeling gear
- Sunrise yoga
- Nearby Robert Trent Jones 27-hole golf course
- Horseback riding
- Deep sea fishing
- Kiteboard and paddle board
The spa begins with a state-of-the art laboratory where therapists tailor bespoke, restorative programs. Taking advantage of the hotel’s Edenic location, the purest ingredients harvested from the waters of the Caribbean and the soil of surrounding Mayan jungles are the basis of every treatment. It is a matchless experience of health that opens a new chapter to a life of sound mind and body.
- Open: 09:00 - 21:00
The climate controlled fitness room features Technogym cardio machines, Pilates reformers, weights, and personal instruction in various body arts, all under a soaring thatched ceiling.
- Gym open: 06:00 - 21:00
- Sunrise Yoga: 08:00 - 09:00
Out and About
Soak up the Mexican charm by enjoying a range of must-see attractions, including:
- The Mayan Ruins of Tulum: built during the 13th century and where breathtaking sea views and culture meet
- Chichen Itza: a few hours drive toward Yucatán will lead you to this Mayan architectural treasure
- Rio Secreto: many people consider this underwater river to be the Eighth Wonder of the World
- X-Plor: an adventure park with cenotes, zip-lines, underground rafting
- Sian Ka'an: a UNESCO World Heritage site near Tulum. Discover mangrove, fauna, and flora from a kayak
- Merida & Valladolid: with the new highway, it’s now possible to reach these two fantastic Yucatán towns in only a few hours drive